Whether you're backstage at a theatre for the first time or you've been doing it for years, there are always surprises and funny moments that happen. In this blog post, we'll share some of the most hilarious and unexpected things we've seen behind the scenes. Keep reading to see what we mean!
For anyone who has ever been involved in the performing arts, you know that things don't always go according to plan. A stage manager's worst nightmare is a prop falling onstage during a performance, actors often forget their lines or mess up their entrances and exits, and costume changes can be very chaotic, especially when there are last-minute changes. Sound technicians also have to make sure that all the sound cues are correct.
Despite all of these potential hiccups, the show must go on! And backstage crew members have to be ready for anything. We've compiled a list of some of the funniest and most unexpected things that happen backstage at the theatre.
1. The "diva" moment: Every now and then, an actor or actress will have a diva moment backstage. This could be anything from demanding that their dressing room be a certain temperature to refusing to go on stage until their hair and makeup are perfect.
2. The forgotten prop: It's not uncommon for an actor to forget a prop onstage. This often happens with small items like pens or glasses. However, we've also seen actors forget larger props, like lamps and chairs!
3. The lost costume piece: Costume changes can be chaotic, especially when there are last-minute changes. It's not uncommon for a piece of clothing to get lost in the shuffle. We've even seen actors lose their shoes backstage!
4. The missed cue: Sound technicians have to be very careful to make sure all of the sound cues are correct. However, sometimes a cue is missed or an actor forgets to say their line. This can often lead to some hilarious moments on stage.
5. The stage kiss: When two actors share a stage kiss, it's often very awkward and uncomfortable. We've seen actors miss each other's mouths entirely, end up nose-to-nose, or even accidentally bite each other!
Despite all of the potential mishaps that can happen backstage, the show must go on! Theatre is a magical place where anything can happen. And that's part of what makes it so special.